Thursday, October 20, 2011

High Five, Gramma!

I haven't told you yet about the very best part of our Disneyland trip. Oh, yes, the weather was wonderful, the smiles were huge, and the rides were a blast - but the very best part was celebrating Gramma!

Five years ago this month the doctors found a giant tumor in Sharon's abdomen and after a very scary surgery diagnosed her with stage 4 ovarian cancer.  And our world came crashing down.

We did the research and read the diagnoses and knew that this was a dire situation.  The five-year survival rate for stage 4 ovarian cancer was a terrifying 25%, and as a breast cancer survivor of 20 years, Sharon knew just how miserable chemo could be.

There was no cure and so little hope. 

And in the last 5 years God has simply knocked our socks off with his goodness!  Yes, Sharon's hair has gone and come and gone and come again and gone again.  Yes, being on varying chemo concoctions almost constantly for 5 years has been looooooong and hard for Gramma.  Yes, the Morningstars have forged a very tight bond with the chemo nurses at GMBC :)  It hasn't been easy, but Gramma's faith and good humor haven't wavered.

And in the meantime, the Morningstars have visited 7 continents, welcomed 6 new grandbabies into the family with 2 more on the way, and have demonstrated in word and action to each person blessed to be around them that attitude and gratitude have nothing to do with one's circumstances.

Gramma, we are so very honored to celebrate these 5 years with you. Thanks for showing us the truth of Psalm 119. You are a gift and a treasure to us.
With your very own hands you formed me;
    now breathe your wisdom over me so I can understand you.

When they see me waiting, expecting your Word,
    those who fear you will take heart and be glad.

I can see now, God, that your decisions are right;
    your testing has taught me what's true and right.

Oh, love me—and right now!—hold me tight!
    just the way you promised.

Now comfort me so I can live, really live;
    your revelation is the tune I dance to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails