Click here for our China Adoption Timeline.
Phase 1: Decisions
- Mid-October - mid-November 2007 - Lots of research. Deciding if we were ready for another kiddo, if adoption was the right path for our family, if international adoption was the right choice, deciding yes on all of those and choosing Kazakhstan because of the privilege of spending 2 weeks in the orphanage with our daughter-to-be
- Mid-November - early December - Telling family and close friends about our decision
- Early - mid-December - Intense agency research and interviews with agencies and parents who have adopted using each agency on our short list
- December 22 - Decided on World Partners and sent in application and passed out our reference forms
- December 27 - Accepted by World Partners - paperwork collection begins!
Phase 2: Paperwork
- December 26 - Decided on Families for Children in Salt Lake for our homestudy and initiated work with them
- December 31 - Copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses requested from Maryland
- January 4 - Fingerprints sent to West Virginia for FBI clearance
- January 11 - Copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses received from Maryland
- January 20 - Fingerprints received back from West Virginia with FBI clearance
- January 24 - We go public with our adoption plans
- January 28 - Copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses sent to Maryland for apostille
- January 28 - FBI clearance sent to West Virginia for apostille
- January 31 - Final homestudy interview at our home (which was a great experience, BTW)
- February 7 - Apostilled FBI clearance received from West Virginia
- February 8 - Apostilled copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses received from Maryland
- February 14 - Completed homestudy received
- February 14 - CIS 171-H sent to Immigration Services
- February 28 - Invitation to CIS for fingerprinting for 171-H received
- March 11 - Fingerprinting at CIS for 171-H
- April 1 - Approved 171-H received from CIS
- April 2 - All remaining documents for Utah apostille sent to Lt. Governor's office
- April 10 - Dossier complete! All apostilled documents received from Lt. Governor's office
- April 13 - Dossier arrives at World Partners headquarters in Georgia
Phase 3: Waiting
- April 16 - Dossier sent to Kazakhstan by World Partners for translation
- June 27 - Dossier completes translation and is sent to the consulate in New York
- August 29 - Dossier approved by the NY Consulate and sent to the Kazakhstan Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- November 25 - Dossier out of the MFA and waiting for a Letter of Invitation
- Late December 2008, early January 2009 - Redo most of our paperwork, get homestudy update because everything's now a year old
Phase 4: We're Off!
- January 8, 2009 - LOI (Letter of Invitation) received and plane tickets purchased!
- January 12 - Visas arrive
- January 18 - Depart for Kazakhstan!
- January 20 - Meet our Daughter!
- January 27 - Social worker approval
- February 3 - Bonding Period Complete, petition for pre-court date
- February 9 - Pre-court done, court date assigned
- February 17 - Court - she's ours!!!
- March 4 - Finalization period complete
- March 14 - Fly back to Almaty
- March 16 - Clinic checkup for her visa
- March 18 - US Embassy visit to pick up Sasha's visa and immigration packet
- March 19 - Home and citizenship!
Phase 5: Home Again
- April 13 - Certificate of Citizenship received
- May 13 - Sasha's cleft palate is repaired!
- May 17 - Three months a Morningstar
- June 30 - First postplacement report submitted to World Partners (our international agency) after postplacement interview with Families for Children (our local agency)
- August 17 - Six months a Morningstar
- February 17, 2010 - First Gotcha Day Anniversary
- February 17, 2011 - Second Gotcha Day Anniversary