Saturday, June 26, 2010

Cultural Sensitivity(?)

I can't decide... is it sweet and sort of culturally sensitive that I insisted on a Mulan Polly Pocket set for Mei Mei to compliment Sasha's Minnie Mouse set... or is it just kind of creepy and weird? Our multi-ethnic family preparation started with Sash and although we didn't end up being an obvious adoptive family with her (remember, we initially assumed she would be Kazakh), the lessons have stayed with us. I'm determined not to have a house full of blue-eyed, blond-haired baby dolls, and planning for Mei Mei has put new zeal in the pursuit.

I figure, at worst Mei Mei couldn't care less and at best she'll appreciate having some dolls and toys that look like her. And I guess that this whole discussion presupposes that Sasha won't have dismembered Mulan and lost all of her accessories within the next 6 or 9 months. Unlikely.

I am bound and determined however to pick up an adoptive mama Barbie doll from China. Admittedly my enthusiasm is prompted more by the clear hilariousness of the toy than by my cultural sensitivities.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails