Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Celebrating Long-term Goals

I've been reading Big Time, the latest book from my very favorite "productivity expert," Laura Vanderkam. It's a great read, and one of her suggestions for savoring and expanding one's experience of time is to set long-term goals that feel rewarding, take minimal effort each day, and build toward something big and celebratory. As I read about this strategy and felt energized about goals I could set for 2027, it occurred to me that I was already doing this with my year-long habit tracker. Still, it hadn't paused to complete my explanation by describing the celebration step! 

Maybe you can relate to my trouble here - I focus on the hard work and "how good it is for me," but I forget about the celebration that could cap off the whole experience and leave me feeling rewarded and delighted. So let's right that wrong and set aside time to celebrate!

This year, I am taking time to log each time I engage in one of the fourteen habits I decided to focus on. These are activities that generally leave me feeling happy with my day, such as working out, yoga, and journaling. Each time I engage in one of these activities, I add a square of the corresponding color to my tracker. 

But wait, there's more! Not only do I get to celebrate the habits I engage with each day with my special box of crayons, but I also decided to indulge in a special knitting project to celebrate this year. I'm making a Celebration Scarf! 

I'm only a quarter of the way through, and it's already a fun, funky celebration of my year of great habits. Each habit has its own yarn associated with it, and I use my habit tracker to determine the color repeats - so the scarf pattern follows my habit patterns!


I was thinking of my Celebration Scarf as a continuation of the habit-tracking project, but with Laura Vanderkam's help, I'm reframing it: my scarf is a cumulative celebration of all the beautiful habits I am focusing on this year!

What's a big project or big goal that you're working on that deserves a little (or big) celebration? Would planning a celebration boost your motivation and commitment to that goal? 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails